Project 5: Starting with Node.js

by samscaife on Tuesday 1 May 2012

When it came to installing node I got a bit confused at first as something went wrong in the installation and it was not working like it was meant to. This lead me to trying to emulate Linix on my pc so that I could use the large amount of user documentation for it. However I final managed to get it installed on my pc after reading this tutorial.

Node.js is controlled through the CLI, command line interface, which looked scary at first but turn out to be very logical and simple to use. I came across and online book Node Beginner which was incrediably helpful, I ended up reading all of it. This book clearly explained how Node.js worked and how to build for it. Through reading that book and this article on Writing for node and the browser I was able to begin to understand the aims of server side programming.

I started off building a simple hello world server which simply writes hello world in the browser. I then worked through the examples in the node beginners book seeing how everything worked. Once I'd built its simple server which would communicate between pages I re wrote the whole thing myself to see if I could remember the correct structure and how to link everything. Doing this really helped me understand what I was writing.

Leave your comment