Project 5: Idea review

by samscaife on Saturday 21 April 2012

At this point I thought it would be a good idea to review my idea and try and finally settle on a project which I can start creating. So I discussed the ideas through with my mum, Sarah Scaife. We go to the point that pushing on with the idea of data was my best bet as I already have some of the skills needed to do this and would not be starting from scratch like I might where I to build a physical object manipulated by the internet.

Like how the hint.fm wind map using pubicaly available data I thought it would be a good idea if I used data which as already accessible as that brings its own potential interpretations to the piece. So I had a look on the Uk open goverment data. However I looking at what was available nothing jumped out at me as being a really interesting direction to go with.

When Thinking of the variables available to me I got quite interested in sound. So at this point I decided that I would like to create something similar to the wind map but using sound data from specially build devices. The idea being that with ubiquity of devices which record sound you would be able to tell a large amount of things from this data. One example would be that you could find out how busy a cue for a club was from the amount of volume coming from outside it.

I really like this Idea and I'm going to go with it. I think that with clever application of what I'm displaying and recording this could produce a nice piece.

Leave your comment