Project 5: Niklas Roy

by samscaife on Tuesday 17 April 2012

Niklas Roy is a digital artist I came across who makes a wide range of strange digital objects. His work play with a mix of traditional technologies and futuristic ideas. One of my favorite works by him is the Electronic Instant Camera.

My ‘Electronic Instant Camera’, is a combination of an analog b/w videocamera and a thermal receipt printer. The device is something in between a Polaroid camera and a digital camera. The camera doesn’t store the pictures on film or digital medium, but prints a photo directly on a roll of cheap receipt paper while it is taking it. As this all happens very slow, people have to stay still for about three minutes until a full portrait photo is taken.

This piece reminds me lots of a modernday version of a dry plate camera. I really like how it takes a long time to generate the image and its not stored so that unlike how I would use a camera with my friends, by taking a load of photos and picking the best, you have to think much more about the composition and just be content with the image if there are imperfections.

The way it builds up in lines also makes me think about the possibilities for collaborating and having multiple people each take one line each like the drawing game children play.

Leave your comment