Project 1: Branding & a brief look at competition

by samscaife on Tuesday 4 October 2011

Our brief is all about creating a video which promotes the brand of Aquapax, in a lecture the other day we talked about about brands and there was one definition of brand which I think is helpful to keep me on track with this video

Brand is the promise, the big idea, and the expectations of the client 

What my video is trying to do is place this big idea into the minds of the public so that they associate the product with these idea and when they think of the ideas they think of the product.

I think it will be helpful to look at what the products competitors are doing so that I know what it has to stand out from. The product has a large market in France and its main competitor is Evian, here is a recent TV advert


This is a advert for TV and as such has more focus on the product. It does however promote the values of the brand with slogans such as drink pure coming up on screen and the actors being from a wide age group. It uses white through out the whole video and provides visual interest with an animation style and clever visuals of babies dancing.
When I see this it makes me think of a funny version of the video I have in my mind. Evian seem to have taken the line of humor in there adverts recently. This I think is a potential area which I can exploit. If I create a video which is very trendy it will make the brand be perceived as a higher quality than Evian's fun baby videos.

In order to achieve this I need a story line which does not look like it is trying really hard to be cool but understates the cool aspect of the things its doing. Another way of doing this would be to gently poke fun at the being cool aspect


This video uses a load of elements that are currently trendy such as the text, colour grade, fashion and not to mention the bikes. It then lightheartedly teases its self by performing stupid moves on bicycles. This also works because the style of satire is also currently on trend.

Leave your comment