Project 1: Shot Ideas & problems

by samscaife on Monday 17 October 2011

Unfortunately one of my dancers is busy during the time where I have the studio space booked. I not only have one dancer to shoot so my idea has to change a little as I can not longer get the subtle product placement shots I was keen on.


Currently I plan to combine footage of setting up the space with footage of her dancing then have a voice over that talks about the pureness of the water and how that relates to the effortless of dance. In face I've written in my sketch book in regard to the music


The water is effortless. Dance is effortless. The music should be effortless.

this could be changed into a slogan or key statement in the voice over, something like this


Great music is effortless. Great dance is effortless. Great water is effortless.

Shots

I want to take inspiration for my shots from artistic photography and films. currently I'm imaging the piece to be shot with really tight framing so that the movement is more abstract that a wide angle of a dancer. almost as if I am creating this effect but with the body instead of liquid



The fashion blogger tavi post large posts of images which inspire her. When I look through them it gives me a really good idea of what she is currently thinking about. To help me bring my ideas together I'm going to compile a similar wall of photos with a little comment on what about the shot it is I like and how I could transfer that to Aquapax.



I'll be filming in a mirrored studio so I'm really keen to make use of what I have available to produce some interesting shots. I can take this angle and pull the focus so that you cant see what she is looking at. Personally I really like the grain and low saturation of the image as well but I'm not sure this will be suited to Aquapax.

This shot of the Gemini Residence shows a really interesting angle that dose not appear to be what it is. This style of shot would be really good for the start of my video to establish a scene but still leave the audience disorientated. again this is another shot with a color pallet which shows quality to me, I believe this is because it is not overly complicated and has strong points of contrast within the image that gives it a clarity which you would expect from quality work.

I am more concerned with the angle on the left for this image. The intertwining bodies create a really interesting shape where you are not sure at first glance where one body starts and another begins. I only have 1 dancer but with a little contortion and interestion angles I can create these weird types of shots which force you to doubletake. 


This video by Koray Birand (he has an awesome website) shows just the style of video I want to produce. A mash up between the final product and the preparations there is even a shot of Lilly Cole drinking water at 00:50 seconds into the film. I really like the farming on the some of the shots as well where her head ends right at the top of the image.



Looking through Koray Birand's work I'm getting really inspired. He creates exactly the style of video that I want to create for Aquapax. I was Imagining more of a slow paced editing style but the first of these two videos has given me some ideas of how I can transition between shots. The second video is a cool example of some more experimental shots I can do.


This Image is By Sabine Villiard

I really like how there is no point of reference within the frame so you could the movement is exaggerated.

Leave your comment