Project 1: Crit & back to animation!

by samscaife on Thursday 20 October 2011

yesterday I had the crit for the filming that I had done for the project. Here is the piece I showed here are the comments that I received comments:

  • I should always test view my footage as the first mov I tried to show had a problem with interlacing
  • Client got bored through the video
  • the video could be cut down
  • they suggested that I film the motion not the dancer and that I have close up tight framing so that its almost abstract whats going on on screen which is what I wanted to do http://samscaifeba.blogspot.com/2011/10/project-1-shot-ideas-problems.html
  • The piece has no voice over but I expressed that the final piece would have a voice over connecting the dancing to the water
  • I put forward the connection of the years of training it takes top become a dancer and the years it takes for a water become a mineral water, this idea was well received
  • I was warned to think about how audio would work on a video designed for mobile output.
  • The client liked the subtle hinting to the product.
  • I expressed that I had several problems when I went to film the piece and the conclusion was that I should re-shoot the whole thing with a very clear message in mind.

After this crit I was confident that my idea could fit the brief but on reflection I am not sure if I will not have enough time to plan getting dancers, location and equipment in order to do this to the standerd that I would like. I am happy that I got this far with the idea as I have been able to make a dance video which I like even though I think it is off brief.

I spoke to Sue about the piece to get her thoughts on the piece and to see what her suggestions would be moving on from this. Sue advised me that I was working by trying to fit the brief to something which I wanted to do and it was not working. When talking about alternative methods to get the video to work we spoke about rotoscoping. I've now changed my idea to a full rotoscoped animation where the dancer represents water. I can steal a the visual style of the packaging and blend that into the rotoscoping so that it really stays on brand.

Leave your comment